HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS WERE ABOUT TO TALK ABOUT FOOD ON A FOOD BLOG?!
what the what? yeah. we are. you know why? because it's a special occasion. its TACO TUESDAY on CINCO DE MAYO WEEK. yeah. it's a thing.
soooo i'm bringin you the easiest skillet recipe. YAS.
firsttttt should we talk about the fact that like… i've been making this consistently since we went to north carolina for CHRISTMAS?! it was one of the dinners we had while we were there and i just HAD to put my own spin on things and trash them up (aka make it so i couldn't really tell it had tomatoes and beans)… BECAUSE IM A CHILD.
maybe while we're at it we shoullllld also talk about how i made this at SUPER BOWL and shot it for the blog and we're JUST NOW talking about it….
i'm the worst. just say it. butttt we're sharing now so it's okay! ❤️
let's talk taco seasoninggggg.
i still exclusively use mine because i'm biased. and you should be too because its amazinnngggg. yes.
also i'm really sorry about that ^^ gross looking blended concoction! BUT its important because FLAVOR!! and also… it hides the beans and tomatoes HAHAHAH.
but really. that's why it's there.
because honestly i don't have time for beans or tomatoes, but i think they're good for you and so ALAS. here we are…
OHKAY so THIS is how i eat mine ^^ with NO CHEESE. because its my world and we're all living in it.
but because i know ppl are cheese crazy i give you an option to melt it into the skillet and then ON TOP of the skillet because YOLO. does anyone besides me say YOLO anymore?
oh oh oh before we get to the recipe shouldddddd we maybe talk about OTHER recipes that are fit for your cinco de mayo festivities??
ALRIGHT FINE. you gotta have a DIY TACO BAR with homemade guac and mexican goddess dressing! YOU GOTTA. or or OR make these mexican meatballs if you're trying a more healthyyyy route. oh oh but theseeeee chicken cilantro drumsticks should show up too!! i don't hate it. regardless of what you do… PLEASE share your margarita recipe with me. especially if it's grapefruit. and strong.
Skillet Burrito Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
- 1 can black beans, divided
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes & green chilies, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed & dried
- cilantro & cheese optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes until outsides are white. Add in the onion, bell pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. In a blender combine 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, 1/2 the can of beans, 1/2 the can of tomatoes, 1/2 the jalapeño pepper, and the chicken broth. Blend until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the rest of the beans and tomatoes to the skillet with the chicken. Pour in the blended bean mixture and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and quinoa. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until rice is tender and quinoa is cooked.
- CHEESY OPTION: stir in 1/2 cup of mexican blend cheese and once melted cover the top of the skillet with an additional 1/2 cup of cheese and broil for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts!
will you just PROMISE to try the version without cheese. AT LEAST ONCE?! you're never gonna do it are you….
Make it? Lemme see it! Hashtag it: #thepikeplacekitchen